Body found inside burning car in Long Branch, NJ
LONG BRANCH (WABC) -- For most of the day, police cars and crime scene tape marked the spot along Seaview Avenue where a burning car with a body in the trunk had been discovered by emergency crews around 4:00 Wednesday morning.
Freda Washington lives just yards away.
"When I got outside, the car was right there burned up real bad. You couldn't really tell what kind of car it was. It had burned down to a silver grayish color," she said.
So far, the Monmouth County prosecutor will only call this a suspicious death investigation.
His office has apparently identified the adult man found dead in the car, but won't release the name until relatives have been notified.
In the meantime, people who live in this Long Branch community are left to wonder and worry about their own safety.
"Kind of scared me a little bit. We do have a little 7 month old baby living with us and stuff, so it kind of scares us a little bit," Curtis Smith said.
"Yeah it concerns me. It's right here. It's at my house," Washington said.
The car was found a block away from where a 22-year-old man was fatally shot in June.
new jersey, long branch, local news, sandra bookman
- Snow alert issued for New York City
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane 19 min ago
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Police hunt driver in deadly Queens hit and run
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness' 15 min ago
- Eric Gelinas' OT goal helps Devils beat Rangers
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia