Empire State Building could get competition
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Empire State Building could be getting some competition.
Vornado Realty Trust is hoping to build an office tower on 33rd Street that would stand 1,090 feet tall.
That's only 60 feet shorter than the Empire State Building.
Critics say the new tower would both disrupt the skyline and prevent many residents on the West Side from seeing the Empire State Building.
The City Council will consider the new building's proposal on Monday.
new york city, empire state building, local news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor 32 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos