Man arrested after outside mosque
QUEENS (WABC) -- An apparently drunk man was arrested for shouting anti-Muslim slurs as he urinated outside a mosque in the Astoria section of Queens.
Omar Rivera was charged with criminal trespass after worshippers at the Al-Iman Mosque on Steinway Street subdued him Wednesday night.
Holding a beer bottle, Rivera burst in during evening prayers. He allegedly shouted anti-Muslim slurs, calling the worshipers "terrorists," then flashed his middle finger and urniated outside the mosque.
Two worshipers subdued him and called 911.
Rivera was charged and taken to a hospital for psychiatric evaluation.
The mosque said earlier news reports that the suspect urinated on prayer rugs was not inaccurate.
new york city, local news
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week 32 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died 54 min ago
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem found 18 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party 53 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos