30 displaced in AC rooming house fire
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- A fast-moving rooming house fire in Atlantic City has displaced 30 residents, including several who were rescued by firefighters and neighbors.
No serious injuries were reported in the blaze, which broke out about 11:45 p.m. Saturday. But most residents were forced to flee with just the clothes they were wearing.
Moments before firefighters arrived, witnesses said a woman tossed two young children to safety from a second-floor window to someone on the street. She then jumped herself, sustaining minor injuries.
Firefighters also rescued an elderly man trapped in a third-floor room, while other residents guided their neighbors to safety through the smoke and flames.
Authorities say the fire started in a second-floor room, possibly from an overheated hot plate. But the investigation was ongoing Sunday morning.
new jersey, atlantic city, fire, local news
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train derailment 53 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fast food workers strike to demand higher wages 57 min ago
- Bill de Blasio to make big announcement Thursday 21 min ago
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction 39 min ago
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train...
53 min ago
- Fast food workers strike to demand higher...
57 min ago