Cab crashes into a coffee shop
EAST VILLAGE (WABC) -- A taxi cab crashed into a crowd outside a popular coffee shop early Sunday morning.
In the blink of an eye, the busy intersection of 1st Avenue and East 3rd Street went into a panic.
Witnesses say a cab swerved to avoid hitting an SUV around 1:30 a.m. Instead, the driver hit two bicyclists, crashed into the popular Bean Coffee Shop and mowed down another man.
"The jeep ran the light," a witness said. "The cab tried to avoid the people, but he couldn't."
The driver of the Jeep tells an entirely different story that places the blame on the cabbie.
"I was trying to turn right," the driver said.
What ever the case, emergency crews rushed to scene and loaded up the injured in ambulances.
The victims were taken to Bellevue Hospital.
One person is listed in serious condition.
Police are investigating to see if the cabbie or the Jeep driver ran a red light.
new york city, east village, accident, local news, carolina leid
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment 47 min ago
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt 53 min ago
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
2 min ago