Cab crashes into a coffee shop
EAST VILLAGE (WABC) -- A taxi cab crashed into a crowd outside a popular coffee shop early Sunday morning.
In the blink of an eye, the busy intersection of 1st Avenue and East 3rd Street went into a panic.
Witnesses say a cab swerved to avoid hitting an SUV around 1:30 a.m. Instead, the driver hit two bicyclists, crashed into the popular Bean Coffee Shop and mowed down another man.
"The jeep ran the light," a witness said. "The cab tried to avoid the people, but he couldn't."
The driver of the Jeep tells an entirely different story that places the blame on the cabbie.
"I was trying to turn right," the driver said.
What ever the case, emergency crews rushed to scene and loaded up the injured in ambulances.
The victims were taken to Bellevue Hospital.
One person is listed in serious condition.
Police are investigating to see if the cabbie or the Jeep driver ran a red light.
new york city, east village, accident, local news, carolina leid
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area 17 min ago
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC 31 min ago
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire
- Photos: Family escapes Yonkers fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million