Landlord charged in rent-dispute murder
EAST NEW YORK (WABC) -- A landlord is now charged with murder in the death of her tenant over what neighbors say was a rent dispute.
Patricia Wilson was found shot to death outside her home on Linwood Street in East New York just after midnight Wednesday. Jacqueline Wesley-Rosa, 49, is facing charges of second-degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon.
"She has always been a good friend to me," one neighbor said.
Near where Wilson died, friends and neighbors set up a memorial with flowers and candles in her memory. They hope she rests in peace.
The 55-year old grandmother was living in a second-floor apartment. Neighbors say she was returning from visiting a friend across the street when she was shot on the sidewalk just outside her home.
"It's a shock because...she's a very nice lady," friend Henny Martindale said. "Everybody will miss her, the whole block."
Wesley was also being charged with menacing for a violent confrontation with Wilson back in July. Court records show she fired an air gun or pistol in the air at Wilson's nephew, then pointed the gun at Wilson.
"It was a dispute for the rent," Martindale said.
Now, neighbors struggle to understand the senseless nature of Wilson's murder, the tragic death of someone described as the mayor of her block.
The victim's brother said he tried to get her to move out of the building, but she refused.
new york city, brooklyn, east new york, shooting, local news
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 49 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 50 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 11 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos