Landlord charged in rent-dispute murder
EAST NEW YORK (WABC) -- A landlord is now charged with murder in the death of her tenant over what neighbors say was a rent dispute.
Patricia Wilson was found shot to death outside her home on Linwood Street in East New York just after midnight Wednesday. Jacqueline Wesley-Rosa, 49, is facing charges of second-degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon.
"She has always been a good friend to me," one neighbor said.
Near where Wilson died, friends and neighbors set up a memorial with flowers and candles in her memory. They hope she rests in peace.
The 55-year old grandmother was living in a second-floor apartment. Neighbors say she was returning from visiting a friend across the street when she was shot on the sidewalk just outside her home.
"It's a shock because...she's a very nice lady," friend Henny Martindale said. "Everybody will miss her, the whole block."
Wesley was also being charged with menacing for a violent confrontation with Wilson back in July. Court records show she fired an air gun or pistol in the air at Wilson's nephew, then pointed the gun at Wilson.
"It was a dispute for the rent," Martindale said.
Now, neighbors struggle to understand the senseless nature of Wilson's murder, the tragic death of someone described as the mayor of her block.
The victim's brother said he tried to get her to move out of the building, but she refused.
new york city, brooklyn, east new york, shooting, local news
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85 3 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos