Fla. pastor says his church will never burn Koran
NEW YORK -- A Florida pastor says his church will never burn a Koran, even if a mosque is built near ground zero.
Pastor Terry Jones had threatened to burn the Muslim holy book on the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks over plans to build an Islamic center near where terrorists brought down the World Trade Center nine years ago.
He flew to New York and appeared on NBC's "Today" show. He says that his Gainesville, Fla., church's goal was "to expose that there is an element of Islam that is very dangerous and very radical."
He tells NBC that "we have definitely accomplished that mission."
He says no meeting is planned with the imam leading the center but he hopes one will take place.
breaking news, new york city, ground zero mosque, local news
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem 11 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Plane's nose gear collapses at Philadelphia airport
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Man in 'Modern Family' star groping appears in court
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday