Fla. pastor says his church will never burn Koran
NEW YORK -- A Florida pastor says his church will never burn a Koran, even if a mosque is built near ground zero.
Pastor Terry Jones had threatened to burn the Muslim holy book on the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks over plans to build an Islamic center near where terrorists brought down the World Trade Center nine years ago.
He flew to New York and appeared on NBC's "Today" show. He says that his Gainesville, Fla., church's goal was "to expose that there is an element of Islam that is very dangerous and very radical."
He tells NBC that "we have definitely accomplished that mission."
He says no meeting is planned with the imam leading the center but he hopes one will take place.
breaking news, new york city, ground zero mosque, local news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Jersey City water main break repaired 3 min ago
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 4 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 48 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 18 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together 8 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos