Fla. pastor says his church will never burn Koran
NEW YORK -- A Florida pastor says his church will never burn a Koran, even if a mosque is built near ground zero.
Pastor Terry Jones had threatened to burn the Muslim holy book on the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks over plans to build an Islamic center near where terrorists brought down the World Trade Center nine years ago.
He flew to New York and appeared on NBC's "Today" show. He says that his Gainesville, Fla., church's goal was "to expose that there is an element of Islam that is very dangerous and very radical."
He tells NBC that "we have definitely accomplished that mission."
He says no meeting is planned with the imam leading the center but he hopes one will take place.
breaking news, new york city, ground zero mosque, local news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 58 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at N.J. shopping center 32 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- US deploys 600 troops to Ukraine border nations 26 min ago
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- One dead, another rescued in Long Island fire
- Not so fast! Palcohol not approved by federal government
- Passengers step up to help elderly man in bus brawl
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Brooklyn hit and run suspect identified by police
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos