Fla. pastor says his church will never burn Koran
NEW YORK -- A Florida pastor says his church will never burn a Koran, even if a mosque is built near ground zero.
Pastor Terry Jones had threatened to burn the Muslim holy book on the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks over plans to build an Islamic center near where terrorists brought down the World Trade Center nine years ago.
He flew to New York and appeared on NBC's "Today" show. He says that his Gainesville, Fla., church's goal was "to expose that there is an element of Islam that is very dangerous and very radical."
He tells NBC that "we have definitely accomplished that mission."
He says no meeting is planned with the imam leading the center but he hopes one will take place.
breaking news, new york city, ground zero mosque, local news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day 32 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 16 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath & Beyond
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
32 min ago