Fla. pastor says his church will never burn Koran
NEW YORK -- A Florida pastor says his church will never burn a Koran, even if a mosque is built near ground zero.
Pastor Terry Jones had threatened to burn the Muslim holy book on the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks over plans to build an Islamic center near where terrorists brought down the World Trade Center nine years ago.
He flew to New York and appeared on NBC's "Today" show. He says that his Gainesville, Fla., church's goal was "to expose that there is an element of Islam that is very dangerous and very radical."
He tells NBC that "we have definitely accomplished that mission."
He says no meeting is planned with the imam leading the center but he hopes one will take place.
breaking news, new york city, ground zero mosque, local news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 39 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
39 min ago