Nassau Co. reports 2nd West Nile death
NORTH HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- West Nile virus has claimed its second victim this year in Nassau County.
The County Health Department said Friday a North Hempstead resident over the age of 85 has died. The unidentified individual became ill on Aug. 12 with symptoms that included fever and weakness.
Nassau's first victim was reported on Sept. 2. That resident also lived in North Hempstead and was over the age of 80.
The agency says 34 people have tested positive for the virus in the county this year.
Nassau health officials say residents can protect themselves by wearing mosquito repellent and covering up their arms and legs.
West Nile is spread by mosquitoes that often pick up the virus from birds they bite.
long island, nassau county, west nile virus, local news
- Guinness to drop sponsorship of NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some 37 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt 43 min ago
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims 45 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA men's basketball tournament 29 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 40 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos