Nassau Co. reports 2nd West Nile death
NORTH HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- West Nile virus has claimed its second victim this year in Nassau County.
The County Health Department said Friday a North Hempstead resident over the age of 85 has died. The unidentified individual became ill on Aug. 12 with symptoms that included fever and weakness.
Nassau's first victim was reported on Sept. 2. That resident also lived in North Hempstead and was over the age of 80.
The agency says 34 people have tested positive for the virus in the county this year.
Nassau health officials say residents can protect themselves by wearing mosquito repellent and covering up their arms and legs.
West Nile is spread by mosquitoes that often pick up the virus from birds they bite.
long island, nassau county, west nile virus, local news
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos