Nassau Co. reports 2nd West Nile death
NORTH HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- West Nile virus has claimed its second victim this year in Nassau County.
The County Health Department said Friday a North Hempstead resident over the age of 85 has died. The unidentified individual became ill on Aug. 12 with symptoms that included fever and weakness.
Nassau's first victim was reported on Sept. 2. That resident also lived in North Hempstead and was over the age of 80.
The agency says 34 people have tested positive for the virus in the county this year.
Nassau health officials say residents can protect themselves by wearing mosquito repellent and covering up their arms and legs.
West Nile is spread by mosquitoes that often pick up the virus from birds they bite.
long island, nassau county, west nile virus, local news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 7 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Golden Globes nominations announced 30 min ago
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating 18 min ago
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss 35 min ago
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code 43 min ago
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos