Motorcycle, bear collide on NJ highway
ROCKAWAY TOWNSHIP, N.J. -- Two people were injured Saturday when their motorcycle collided with a black bear that unexpectedly ran across a northern New Jersey road.
Rockaway Township police say the driver, 60-year-old Joseph Haydu of Florham Park, and his 51-year-old passenger, Carrie Kifner of Morris Plains, were both taken to Morristown Memorial Hospital.
Haydu was listed in serious condition while Kifner was in fair condition, but further details were not immediately disclosed.
The crash occurred around 12:30 p.m. in the Morris County community. Police said the bear came out of a wooded area and collided with the motorcycle, which was northbound on Green Pond Road.
It was not known if the bear was injured in the accident. Police say it had left the area by the time they arrived.
new jersey, accident, bear, local news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos 39 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures 39 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- NJ Transit trains back on schedule after earlier delays
- Snow coming down in New York City 17 min ago
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow 5 min ago
- Snow falling on Long Island 1 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Driver killed in Queens after crashing into storefront 53 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Snow coming down in New York City
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos