Police: LI mom left toddler alone to smoke pot
SHIRLEY -- Police on Long Island say a mother left her 1-year-old child alone in a car for more than 40 minutes while she was inside her home smoking marijuana.
Police say they got a call at around noon Monday of a toddler that had been left alone in a car parked in front of a home in Shirley. When they arrived, they found the boy in the backseat and the child's mother, 43-year-old Karen Edelmann, inside her home smoking pot.
Police say Edelmann was arrested on charges of endangering the welfare of a child, marijuana possession and resisting arrest. She was being held overnight and is expected to be arraigned on Tuesday. Police did not know if she had a lawyer.
The child was released into the custody of his father and Child Protective Services was notified.
long island, marijuana, local news
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Chilly Wednesday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 26 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- LIE in Suffolk County reopens
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- EXCLUSIVE: Suspect arrested in 'knockout' assaults
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- Photos: Scared Santa
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway 51 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos