Police: LI mom left toddler alone to smoke pot
SHIRLEY -- Police on Long Island say a mother left her 1-year-old child alone in a car for more than 40 minutes while she was inside her home smoking marijuana.
Police say they got a call at around noon Monday of a toddler that had been left alone in a car parked in front of a home in Shirley. When they arrived, they found the boy in the backseat and the child's mother, 43-year-old Karen Edelmann, inside her home smoking pot.
Police say Edelmann was arrested on charges of endangering the welfare of a child, marijuana possession and resisting arrest. She was being held overnight and is expected to be arraigned on Tuesday. Police did not know if she had a lawyer.
The child was released into the custody of his father and Child Protective Services was notified.
long island, marijuana, local news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
48 min ago