Exhibit highlights New York's fashion icons
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Lena Horne, Brooke Astor, Gypsy Rose Lee-- their dresses are on display along with the gowns and jewels of dozens of other prominent women who call or called New York home throughout the last century.
The "Notorious and Notable: 20th Century Women of Style" exhibition at the Museum of the City of New York opened Tuesday during New York Fashion Week. It features the original fashion and accessories of many of society's glamorous elite.
The exhibition was curated by two women, Phyllis Magidson, who handled the fashions, and Judith Price, who handled the bling.
Some items are lavish, like Jacqueline Kennedy's handbag. Other pieces have a sense of humor. Some of looks were only made possible with the help of men's riches.
There is a great range, from Sunny Von Bulow's mini dress to Mrs. JP Morgan Jr's corseted dress.
Dancer Carmen De Lavallade's own husband Jeffrey Holder designed a dress on display with the Elizabethan-like collar, a regal quality shared by most of these women.
The exhibition, co-presented with the National Jewelry Institute, runs until January 3. For more information, visit www.mcny.org.
new york city, fashion, local news, lauren glassberg
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam 34 min ago
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 35 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 13 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day...
31 min ago
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
34 min ago
- Man who took video explains high school fued
26 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos