Did bleach kill a Rockland County man?
SLOATSBURG (WABC) -- Police are investigating what may be a freak accident.
A 50-year-old Rockland County man may have died after accidently inhaling bleach while cleaning.
"He does everything himself, a real handyman," Jose Vega said.
Vega saw his neighbor about 8:00 Saturday morning spraying bleach on his rear deck before breaking out the power washer.
Hours later, Matthew Kafka of Mill Street in Sloatsburg was dead.
"Matt was perfect. A good neighbor. Never bothered nobody. Never heard him yell. A very nice man," Vega said.
Kafka's distraught family members told us the 50-year-old suffered a heart attack and died at Good Samaritan hospital in Suffern.
However, Ramapo police and the county medical examiner are investigating whether the victim inhaled bleach before he collapsed.
County haz-mat responders found a liquid sprayer and a bottle of bleach at the scene.
"At the end of all the containment we metered the house to make sure it was safe and everything was fine," Dan Moran, Rockland County Deputy Fire Coordinator - Hazardous Materials, said.
Investigators say it's possible Kafka previously used the sprayer with another household cleaning agent that, when mixed with bleach, could create a toxic gas.
"(The combination) can be dangerous in one form or another. You might get a fire because of a mixing of the materials," Moran said.
rockland county, accidental death, local news, joe torres
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 24 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 12 min ago
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
31 min ago