Number of jobs in Conn. fell again in August
HARTFORD -- The state Labor Department says Connecticut again lost jobs in August while gaining in private sector employment.
The number of jobs fell to 1.616 million from 1.617 million in July. However, the number was up slightly from 1.615 million jobs in August 2009.
State labor officials said Monday that most of the losses were due to temporary Census jobs ending.
The unemployment rate was 9.1 percent in August, up from 8.9 percent in July, but lower than the 9.6 percent U.S. rate.
Connecticut has added 4,300 jobs in the private sector since August 2009.
Last month, the largest employment increase was in educational and health services, which added 2,000 jobs.
The state says professional and business services have gained jobs since the start of 2010.
connecticut, unemployment, local news
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents 1 min ago
- Guinness drops St. Pat's Day parade sponsorship
- AccuWeather: Snow for some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head 12 min ago
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Russian media warns of turning US into 'radioactive dust'
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, facing jail time
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon