Number of jobs in Conn. fell again in August
HARTFORD -- The state Labor Department says Connecticut again lost jobs in August while gaining in private sector employment.
The number of jobs fell to 1.616 million from 1.617 million in July. However, the number was up slightly from 1.615 million jobs in August 2009.
State labor officials said Monday that most of the losses were due to temporary Census jobs ending.
The unemployment rate was 9.1 percent in August, up from 8.9 percent in July, but lower than the 9.6 percent U.S. rate.
Connecticut has added 4,300 jobs in the private sector since August 2009.
Last month, the largest employment increase was in educational and health services, which added 2,000 jobs.
The state says professional and business services have gained jobs since the start of 2010.
connecticut, unemployment, local news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 7 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
7 min ago