Two accused of trying to steal cooking oil
NORTH BERGEN, N.J. (WABC) -- Two men are accused of trying to steal used cooking oil from a New Jersey restaurant.
When the cooking oil gets used and useless to 5 Guys Burgers in North Bergen, they put it out behind the restaurant, in two containers, owned by a private company that picks it up.
North Bergen police arrested these two New York men for bringing their own van, suction pump, and container, to siphon the oil for themselves.
Youngil Kim and Byung Ho Choi are charged with theft and its serious, as old, cold, cooking oil has become a new and hot commodity.
What's brewing is old cooking oil becoming fuel.
"They were paying to have it taken away and thought, wait, we can make the fuel," said Rich Ferguson of Cedar Crest Village.
Cedar Crest Retirement Community invested in oil conversion equipment and began collecting old cooking oil from the four restaurants onsite.
Cedar Crests runs its entire fleet of shuttles on the fuel it makes.
While we're paying $2.50 and more per gallon for gas and diesel, Cedar Crest's homemade fuel works out to be 54¢ a gallon, a cleaner, greener gallon.
North Bergen police say that's why the men were stealing the oil, and that they'd been seen behind the restaurant before, this time, someone called police.
new jersey, crime, theft, north bergen, queens, local news, toni yates
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 1 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate 55 min ago
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong 52 min ago
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win