Burglary suspect caught on webcam
EAST HAMPTON (WABC) -- A burglar in Suffolk County appears to have captured himself on camera.
East Hampton detectives are searching for the suspect who burglarized a waterfront home in East Hampton, and then made the mistake of logging onto one of the stolen computers.
A friend noticed the victim's account active on Facebook.
Police say the suspect was initially on Facebook then turned to iChat for a brief but crucial encounter with the victim's friend, who came face to face with the young man.
That friend captured images of the suspect during the chat.
Investigators say the burglary took place back on July 29th, when thieves broke down the back door of the pricey home on the exclusive Three Mile Harbor Drive neighborhood.
The burglars stole $30,000 worth of electronics, including several laptops.
Neighbors say crime isn't something they worry about in the area.
Detectives say thanks to a computer savvy friend, they are one step closer to an arrest.
Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.
Suffolk County Crime Stoppers offers a cash reward of up to $5000.00 for information that leads to an arrest.
long island, suffolk county, burglary, crime, local news, lauren defranco
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos