Pair of suspicious firess tear through Queens homes
QUEENS (WABC) -- Two suspicious fires in Queens left several people hospitalized and homes destroyed early Friday.
A house in the Woodhaven section went up in flames in what was determined to be a suspicious fire.
That fire broke out near the door of the home on 107th Street just after 2:30 a.m. The fire quickly burned through the front of the house.
The homeowner said he noticed the front door on fire, and by the time he attempted to put it out, the flames had already spread.
He was able to escape the house with his wife and her daughter without injuries.
The homeowner, who has lived there for 13 years, said he is friendly with neighbors and has no enemies.
"Who could do this?" he asked.
The cause of the fire is under investigation and has been labeled suspicious. Police taped off the house as Fire Marshals investigated.
In the second incident, a fast-moving second-alarm fire that tore through a home in Richmond Hill and sent three people to the hospital.
The fire broke out in the home on 95th Avenue just before 1 a.m., and threatened to spread to a neighboring home.
Nearly a dozen residents fled the flames, and most were treated at the scene.
Two residents went to Jamaica Medical Center with smoke inhalation.
One firefighter was also taken to the hospital, for minor injuries.
FDNY says preliminiarily the fires do not appear to be linked. The causes remain under investigation.
fire, new york city, queens, richmond hill, local news
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out 54 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face 11 min ago
- Russians, Crimeans discuss referendum on joining Russia
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game'...
54 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos