Fatal shooting, stuck train affecting LIRR
FAR ROCKAWAY (WABC) -- A fatal shooting in front of the LIRR Far Rockaway Station suspended service for the Friday morning commute.
Also, a train stuck near the East River Tunnel is affecting service on the Port Washington branch.
LIRR trains are delayed up to 10 minutes in both directions between Jamaica Station and Penn Station due to the disabled Amtrak train. Trains leaving Penn Station and their eastern terminals are on or close to schedule.
The train has been stuck under the East River for about an hour. It is currently being moved out of the way.
The train is occupied, but there are there no reports of passenger injuries or evacuations.
The following Great Neck trains have been canceled:
Meanwhile, police say a 44-year-old bicyclist fatally shot himself when approached by police at the intersection of Nameoke Street and Redfern Avenue just before 4 a.m.
Police officers were attempting to question the man, who reportedly has prior arrests, when he apparently took his own life.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The ensuing police investigation closed off a large section of the entrance to the Far Rockaway Station.
Shuttle buses were run to take customers to the Inwood station to transfer to westbound trains. Eastbound trains terminated at the Inwood station.
long island, long island railroad, far rockaway, local news
- Winter Weather Advisory 58 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream 24 min ago
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Winter Weather Advisory
58 min ago