Fatal shooting, stuck train affecting LIRR
FAR ROCKAWAY (WABC) -- A fatal shooting in front of the LIRR Far Rockaway Station suspended service for the Friday morning commute.
Also, a train stuck near the East River Tunnel is affecting service on the Port Washington branch.
LIRR trains are delayed up to 10 minutes in both directions between Jamaica Station and Penn Station due to the disabled Amtrak train. Trains leaving Penn Station and their eastern terminals are on or close to schedule.
The train has been stuck under the East River for about an hour. It is currently being moved out of the way.
The train is occupied, but there are there no reports of passenger injuries or evacuations.
The following Great Neck trains have been canceled:
Meanwhile, police say a 44-year-old bicyclist fatally shot himself when approached by police at the intersection of Nameoke Street and Redfern Avenue just before 4 a.m.
Police officers were attempting to question the man, who reportedly has prior arrests, when he apparently took his own life.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The ensuing police investigation closed off a large section of the entrance to the Far Rockaway Station.
Shuttle buses were run to take customers to the Inwood station to transfer to westbound trains. Eastbound trains terminated at the Inwood station.
long island, long island railroad, far rockaway, local news
- 90-minute delays after LIRR service suspension 11 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians 14 min ago