Fatal accident causes delays at George Washington Bridge
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A fatal crash shut the George Washington Bridge's upper level to traffic, causing major delays from New Jersey for the morning commute.
The driver of a car careened into the rear of a tractor trailer on the bridge's westbound upper lanes at around 5:20 a.m.
The driver of the car was pronounced dead at the scene.
His female passenger was rushed to Hackensack University Medical Center in stable condition.
The driver of the tractor trailer was not hurt.
The crash, in the middle of the span, closed the bridge's upper level to traffic for the morning commute.
That delayed traffic for at least an hour in each direction.
And traffic avoiding the bridge caused residual delays at the Holland and Lincoln tunnels.
The westbound side of the bridge was also clogged with trucks with nowhere to go. Trucks are allowed only on the upper level of the bridge.
new york city, george washington bridge, local news
- Woman dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime 15 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders
- Crown Heights woman critical after hit and run 22 min ago
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident