Fatal accident causes delays at George Washington Bridge
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A fatal crash shut the George Washington Bridge's upper level to traffic, causing major delays from New Jersey for the morning commute.
The driver of a car careened into the rear of a tractor trailer on the bridge's westbound upper lanes at around 5:20 a.m.
The driver of the car was pronounced dead at the scene.
His female passenger was rushed to Hackensack University Medical Center in stable condition.
The driver of the tractor trailer was not hurt.
The crash, in the middle of the span, closed the bridge's upper level to traffic for the morning commute.
That delayed traffic for at least an hour in each direction.
And traffic avoiding the bridge caused residual delays at the Holland and Lincoln tunnels.
The westbound side of the bridge was also clogged with trucks with nowhere to go. Trucks are allowed only on the upper level of the bridge.
new york city, george washington bridge, local news
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 24 min ago
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos