The birds of Brooklyn
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Art comes in many sizes, shapes and forms. A roaming exhibit in Brooklyn that will cause your ears to perk up.
Brooklyn artist and New York City College of Technology Assistant Professor Jenna Spevack has developed a community-based audio artwork, "Birds of Brooklyn," that brings the sounds of Brooklyn's displaced, endangered and bygone birds to various sites around the borough.
From 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., bird songs that are rarely heard in densely populated Brooklyn neighborhoods are projected from participating host locations. Neighborhood residents and passersby will hear 20 different recordings, including the Ring-necked Pheasant, Grasshopper Sparrow and Eastern Blue Bird. The project aims to reconnect city dwellers with the natural sounds of the area and raise awareness about declining bird populations in urban environments.
The project is sponsored, in part, by the Greater New York Arts Development Fund of the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, administered by the Brooklyn Arts Council.
The selection of recordings was chosen to highlight birds that are not commonly heard on the streets or shores of Brooklyn, but may have been at one time. Members of the Brooklyn Bird Club consulted on the project.
Spevack hopes awareness of birds that have vanished or are endangered will inspire Brooklynites to support their bird neighbors.
"Birds of Brooklyn" is located at several sites, including Brooklyn Design Lab in Park Slope, Mile End Delicatessen in Boerum Hill, ShyBirdy in Williamsburg, Sweet Melissa's in Carroll Gardens, Monti Studios in Prospect Heights and Breukelen Coffee House in Crown Heights.
Visit www.birdsofbrooklyn.org for locations and more information.
new york city, brooklyn, art, animals, local news, lauren glassberg
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 20 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife 30 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 22 min ago
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Photos: Easter 2014 Around the World
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos