Ramapo College bans alcohol energy drinks
MAHWAH, N.J. (WABC) -- It looks like so many other energy drinks on the market today, but Four Loko packs a much bigger, even dangerous punch.
"Our students tell me it's like drinking 4 beers, a can of red bull and a large espresso," Ramapo College President Peter Mercer said.
It's 23 and a half ounces, 12 percent alcohol, infused with caffeine and taurine among other things.
Mercer says Four Loco is just one of the reasons he's had to rush more than 20 students to the hospital so far this year.
"It's intoxication at a fairly high level, one which potentially compromises the health of the student," he said.
It's not all Four Loko's fault. That's why Mercer has beefed up the school's alcohol policy and all of the penalties.
He did flat out ban anyone from having Four Loko on campus.
"It isn't good. It's gonna kill all the fun here," Omar Alkhalili said.
Alkhalili is a junior here. He's had the drink and knows what it can do.
He says ban Four Loko and you have another problem.
"I feel like people will hide it more. Maybe they won't be as inclined to tell people their friends are sick, which could be a bad thing," he said.
Brianna Canetti has tried the drink too, but doesn't drink it anymore. She knows how bad it can be.
"I honestly think it might work with the amount of transports we've had to the hospital with kids on Four Loko. It might help. I understand that," she said.
But not everybody does. There is already a Facebook page for students against the alcohol policy. It is 16-hundred friends strong. That's about a sixth of the student population.
President Mercer says the new tougher policy is the right way to go. It has to be safety first at his school.
new jersey, mahwah, ramapo college, alcohol, college drinking, college, four loco, local news, phil lipof
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth 7 min ago
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 4 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village
- Suspect identified in attempted baby...
34 min ago