NYPD officer shot and wounded in Brooklyn
EAST NEW YORK (WABC) -- An NYPD officer is recovering Monday from potentially life-threatening injuries suffered during a wild shootout in Brooklyn.
The suspected gunman was also wounded.
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says officer Ricardo Ramirez was on patrol with two others when they spotted a young man riding a bike on the sidewalk. They stopped to question him, and he took off and ran.
The officers followed and cornered the suspect, and that's when police say he started firing at them.
"If officer Ramirez and his team had not confronted the suspect, the shooter would still be on the street, and he may have killed innocent New Yorkers," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.
Ramirez, a 4-year veteran, got a special visit from Bloomberg at Kings County Hospital Sunday night. The mayor says the 29-year-old is expected to make a full recovery after suffering two bullet wounds to his leg. A third bullet struck Ramirez' bullet-resistant vest, which may have saved his life.
The officer suffered his injuries, police say, while chasing down 17-year-old Elijah Foster-Bey inside a building on Bradford Street in East New York.
Ramirez was with two other plain-clothes officers when they say the suspect opened fire in a stairwell.
"When he got up to the top landing, he apparently couldn't open the door," Kelly said. "He turned and started to fire at the officers."
Police say they returned fire with 11 shots, hitting Foster-Bey three times. He was taken to Brookdale Hospital and is expected to survive his injuries. Foster-Bey is charged with attempted murder of a police officer and criminal use of a weapon. Additionally, police say Foster-Bey's mother had filed an order of protection against him.
The suspect's gun was recovered at the scene. Kelly said the weapon could hold seven rounds, but that only one bullet was left in the chamber.
The NYPD had increased presence in area in response to pattern of bike robberies. It is not known if Bey was involved in that bicycle robbery pattern.
In one robbery, the suspect is described as possessing a black gun.
Additionally, there were four recent shootings in vicinity of Bradford Street in East New York that police were investigating.
new york city, brooklyn, east new york, police officer shot, local news, jamie roth
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 18 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 8 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos