US Marine from NJ killed in Afghanistan combat
TRENTON, N.J. -- A U.S. Marine from New Jersey has been killed in Afghanistan.
The Department of Defense announced Wednesday that 24-year-old Lance Cpl. Francisco R. Jackson of Elizabeth died Tuesday during a combat operation in Helmand province.
Jackson was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.
The Marine Corps said Jackson, a field artillery cannoneer, was killed by an improvised explosive device while conducting dismounted combat operations against enemy forces.
Jackson enlisted in the Marines in October 2009. He was on his first combat deployment.
new jersey, u.s. military, local news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow for some 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops St. Patrick's Day parade sponsorship 11 min ago
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- AccuWeather: Snow for some
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos