US Marine from NJ killed in Afghanistan combat
TRENTON, N.J. -- A U.S. Marine from New Jersey has been killed in Afghanistan.
The Department of Defense announced Wednesday that 24-year-old Lance Cpl. Francisco R. Jackson of Elizabeth died Tuesday during a combat operation in Helmand province.
Jackson was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.
The Marine Corps said Jackson, a field artillery cannoneer, was killed by an improvised explosive device while conducting dismounted combat operations against enemy forces.
Jackson enlisted in the Marines in October 2009. He was on his first combat deployment.
new jersey, u.s. military, local news
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend 21 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Investigation after police shoot suspect in Conn.
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile