Man accused of preying on girls coast to coast
GARDEN CITY, New York (WABC) -- A suspected internet sexual predator is now under arrest, thanks to a girl on Long Island. Police say the man convinced her to show sexually explicit stuff on her webcam, from her home in Garden City
He's a 59 year old man, and father of two but police say Timothy Laskaris was leading a whole other life on the internet.
He was allegedly preying on teenage girls, from coast to coast.
"There may be dozens upon dozens of other individuals throughout the country that may be victims of this individual," said Det. Sgt. Jim Bartkowski.
The case hit home in Garden City, where police say a girl between the ages of 12 and 16, met Laskaris online. Cops say he was posing as a 23-year-old and sent her explicit video of a man he said was himself.
Over four months, police say he convinced the victim to turn on her webcam, and according to court documents, he recorded her as many as 20 times.
"The videos were of a sex nature and they became more demanding and abusive. When she started to refuse to send them he said he would post all the previous videos online for everybody to see," adds Det. Sgt. Bartkowski.
When she tried to refuse, cops say Laskaris threatened to make the previous videos public.
That's when the victim told her father, who called Garden City police. They obtained search warrants and tracked IP addresses to a house near Buffalo where Laskaris lives with his 21-year-old son, who said he knew his father spent 6 or 7 hours every day on the computer, but never knew why, until now.
long island, garden city, local news
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 56 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
56 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos