Two charged after arrow exits deer and ends up in house
RAMAPO, New York (WABC) -- Police in Ramapo have charged two men for firing a crossbow at a deer that ended up in a house.
"Just a thump. That's all I heard," said Ciril Cohen.
Cohen now knows that thump was much more than nothing. It was an arrow that narrowly missed the front window of her Suffern home.
Police say about 7:20 Sunday night, two men in a car on Carlton road in Suffern shot a deer with a crossbow. The arrow went through the animal and lodged into the home just below the window where Mrs. Cohen often sits. Neighbors say the deer stumbled across the street to some woods and died.
"The cops came to the door and said by the way, did you see the outside, the arrow. And I said what arrow, you know, the blood. I said, oh, usually I'm sitting there reading. She said you're just lucky it was a foot below because if it would have been higher - it would have killed you," adds Cohen.
Ramapo police arrested 43-year-old Abraham Fischbein of Greene County in upstate New York and 47-year-old Lee Jones, a lifelong resident of Suffern. Both men face a felony charge of reckless endangerment.
Police showed Eyewitness News the camouflaged, high-powered, compound crossbow they recovered from Jones' vehicle.
"Like a bow and arrow but it's actually more powerful than a traditional bow so it's a very dangerous weapon.'Had the arrow not hit a wall and gone through a window, we could have had tragic results," said Captain Brad Weidel.
In court this afternoon, Mr. Fischbein through his attorney and Mr. Jones, through is public defender pleaded not guilty. What could possibly possess someone to think it's o-k to fire a crossbow from a car in a residential area
"He himself realizes how foolish it is to fire a bow and arrow in a populated neighborhood and god forbid, injure somebody. But he didn't commit the criminal act," said Kenneth Gribetz, Fischbein's attorney.
Both Fischbein and Jones were charged additionally by the Department of Environmental Conservation officers with the following unclassified misdemeanors.
ramapo, local news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 47 min ago
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal
- Greenwich Village fatal bus-truck suspect due in court 36 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 53 min ago
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos