Disturbing video of dog abuse in elevator
HARLEM (WABC) -- Police in Harlem arrested a man for animal cruelty after they viewed some disturbing surveillance video from inside a Harlem building's elevator.
The incident took place on Thursday, September 30th at 10:00 p.m.
A New York City Housing Authority Viper camera inside the Grant Houses at 1315 Amsterdam Avenue captured a man violently yanking the leash of a small white dog, causing it to choke.
The man is also seen kicking the dog and slamming it into a wall.
The incident began in the elevator and continued for several minutes in the lobby of the building.
On Saturday, October 2nd at 4:30 p.m., officers located the dog with its owner, and were able to track down the suspect, 29-year-old Carlos Baez, who was arrested.
Baez is said to be the boyfriend of the dog's owner.
The dog, a 3-year-old mixed breed named Dutch, was removed to the Center for Animal Care and Control on East 110 Street, with the consent of its owner.
There, the 10-pound dog underwent an extensive examination and was found to be in good condition with no injuries.
Dutch remains at the CACC on an evidence hold regarding the case.
Baez is charged with one count of Torturing and Injuring Animals, and also one count of Unlawful Possession of Marijuana.
new york city, harlem, animal abuse, animals, dog, local news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday 57 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion 53 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 28 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 32 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
57 min ago