Keeping kids safe from sex offenders on Halloween
NASSAU COUNTY (WABC) -- Probation officers on Long Island have launched an aggressive campaign gearing up for this Halloween weekend.
They are warning registered sex offenders not to pass out candy to children.
It's supposed to look creepy, but the skeleton hanging on one home's door is downright scary when you hear that it's attached to the door of a registered sex offender.
Nassau County's online registry says that the man who lives there raped a 10-year-old girl, and has a Halloween decoration on his door.
"Come Halloween, they can't participate in any Halloween activities," said John Fowle, the acting director of probation.
Wednesday, county leaders unveiled their plans to police more than 200 registered sex offenders, to make sure they're abiding by the terms of their probation.
"We try to be reasonable, but at the same time were vigilant. Just a pumpkin on the front steps can be reason enough for us to have that discussion," Fowle said.
The probation officers will fan out throughout Nassau County, trying to catch offenders in the act of enticing kids to knock on their doors.
"It is a simple piece of candy that can actually start a relationship between a child and a sexual predator," Laura Ahern said.
County leaders say most sex offenders follow the rules.
People like Kevin Cloherty.
In 1994, he victimized a 13-year-old boy.
Now, he lives in a family community that definitely celebrates Halloween, but he told Eyewitness News he wants no part of it.
He puts up no decorations and won't come to the door, if someone knocks.
"As far as I'm concerned, I just want to move on with my life," Cloherty said.
long island, nassau county, sex offender, halloween, local news, josh einiger
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 54 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
54 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos