TB scare at high school on Long Island
GARDEN CITY, New York (WABC) -- Parents and students are concerned at a Long Island high school, after a student tested positive for Tuberculosis.
"Of course I'm nervous glad they're letting everyone know," said Natalie Prezeau.
Parents picking up their children at Glen Cove High School told Eyewitness News it's not the kind of news anyone wants to hear just as the school year is getting underway. A student tested positive for Tuberculosis.
"Its kind of scary. You don't want your child to get sick with it," said Todd Davis.
School superintendent Dr. Josphe Laria says school officials sent out about 1,000 letters to parents, and contacted more than 70 staff members and students who are most at risk, specifically those who've had close and prolonged contact with the teen.
The student who has TB is not being identified.
TB is a potentially deadly bacterial disease affecting the lungs. Symptoms include low grade fever night sweats fatigue weight loss and a persistent cough. There's a 6 to 8 week incubation so what appears to be isolated incident may not be. Troubling to parents of seniors who say their kids can't afford to miss school
Students labeled as high risk will be tested at the High School on Friday November 5th because there's an incubation period. They'll be retested in January.
long island, tuberculosis, local news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania 48 min ago
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard 42 min ago
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239...
49 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in...
48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
34 min ago
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos