Jewish institutions on alert in terror plot
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The terror threat has led to increased security at some synagogues in our area on the Sabbath, out of concern that Jewish institutions could be targets.
Rabbi Elie Weinstock at the congregation Kehilath Jeshurun on East 85th street learned of security alert issued by the Anti-Defamation League on Friday afternoon.
"Gut reaction when we hear about alerts is how can we keep our people safe. We want to go on with life as usual, but we also need to be safe," he said.
The White House says the explosives found in two packages sent from Yemen to the United States had been addressed to Jewish organizations in the Chicago area.
Linda Haase, associated vice president of Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago, confirms synagogues were notified to be on alert, but would not release details.
"Since two of the suspicious packages that were intercepted were addressed to religious institutions in Chicago, all churches, synagogues and mosques in the Chicago area should be vigilant for any unsolicited or unexpected packages, especially those originating from overseas locations," said Special Agent Ross Rice, Chicago FBI.
The ADL says it got a call from the FBI around 11 o'clock Friday morning. It was asked to put Jewish institutions on across the country on alert.
"In light of the reported threat, the League has sent out a notice to U.S. Jewish communal institutions across the country to increase mailroom security and to contact law enforcement immediately if they see anything suspicious. This action is in keeping with the League's longstanding practice of sharing information on any threat with the Jewish community," the ADL said in a statement.
Rabbi Weinstock said Jewish organizations are doing their best to keep people safe.
"We have our security personnel in place. We have our coordination with local agencies as appropriate. We will do our best to make sure everyone stays safe," Weinstock said.
DO YOU HAVE PHOTOS OR VIDEOS TO ADD TO THIS STORY? CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD THEM TO IWITNESS.7ONLINE.COM, OR E-MAIL THEM TO IWITNESS@WABC.COM
breaking news, new york city, cargo plane bomb plot, religion, synagogue, terror threat, terrorism, local news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 18 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos