Woman charged for throwing toddler off balcony
FLUSHING (WABC) -- Police are investigating the death of a 2-year-old boy who was allegedly thrown from the balcony of a seventh floor apartment.
2-year-old Jerry Zhou's empty stroller now sits outside of his apartment in Flushing, Queens.
He's a little boy who no doubt experienced sheer terror as he was thrown off of a balcony and fell 7 stories to his death.
Police say Xiaoqiu Cai zeroed in on little Jerry and tossed him over the railing.
The toddler's mother and other relatives saw it happen as they were all inside Apartment 7C at the time.
"They never smile, they never say hi and bye, I don't talk to them," said a neighbor.
The neighbor did not want to go on camera, but said his wife called him last night around 8:30 p.m., just moments after hearing Jerry's mother's screams for help.
He rushed home from work and told Eyewitness News that there have been other incidents with Cai, who lives in the apartment with her daughter in one room, while Jerry's family lives in a second room.
Neighbor, says "A couple of months ago, I was over there helping police officers doing translations, she always thinks someone is trying to poison her. All kinds of crazy things, everyone trying to kill her," the neighbor said.
Officials say the 53-year-old has been depressed for some time, and is on medication.
They say that right before she allegedly threw Jerry off of the balcony, she had been arguing with her daughter.
"All of a sudden we heard screaming, me and a friend and as we got closer the screaming got louder and louder," said Chad Jenkins, a witness.
When Chad Jenkins got closer he saw Cai on the balcony.
Police say she tried to jump but people inside the apartment pulled her back.
Down below, Jerry's broken body was curled up on the cold sidewalk.
"He had a nice little gash on his head, he was bleeding, my first instinct was to run over there and try to compress it and steady his neck," said Jenkins.
Cai is now undergoing psychiatric evaluation.
new york city, fall, flushing, queens, local news, kemberly richardson
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 37 min ago
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 29 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77 51 min ago
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 29 min ago
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in...
37 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos