High speed crash kills 2, injures 2 in NJ
HOWELL, NJ (WABC) -- Two people died and two others were injured in a high speed crash in New Jersey.
It happened on Route 9 in Howell around 1:40 a.m. Saturday.
It was a crash that Jackie Davis-Hecht and her family won't soon forget.
The car is now a heap of compressed metal and scrap.
Police say the driver, 27-year-old Terence Butler, and his passenger, 21-year-old Simone Kearney, were killed, after the car was speeding along with two other cars.
It happened on the southbound side of Route 9 in Howell Township.
Then, the car lost control and careened into a utility pole, and into the Hecht's house, and then in between two trees.
"It was suspended in the tree," said Jacki Davis-Hecht, the homeowner.
"From my 13 years here, I would say, this probably the worst thing I've seen," said Sgt. Joseph Markulic.
Sgt. Markulic went on to say that it is possible that the young people were drag racing.
Immediately after the crash, the drivers of the other two cars, 22-year-old Anthony Butler and 19-year-old Ryan Shadrach, pulled over to see what happened.
To make matters worse, they were allegedly drunk, and police charged them with DWI.
Miraculously, two passengers in the car, 30-year-old Stacy Worthy and 20-year-old Nyasia Neal, survived the crash and they were taken to the hospital.
A friend and neighbor of 21-year-old Simone Kearney who lived in Lakewood her whole life, was in shock to hear that Kearny and the driver were killed.
"They were good people. I knew them when they were little kids. I feel really bad," said Martiza Cepero, the victim's neighbor.
As crews repaired the damage to the area, police continued to speak with witnesses about what could have led to this awful crash.
new jersey, howell, accident, local news, stacey sager
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos