How anti-bullying workshops can help
FORT GREENE (WABC) -- An anti-bullying workshop for students at the McKinney Secondary School was a lesson in all sides of the issue.
The workshop was created by "Partnership with Children", which has a history of counseling students at city schools.
"I think that a workshop like this can be important for everybody because some people are bullies, some people are bystanders and some people are victims of bullying and it shows them different ways that they can handle it," said Samantha Lopez, a student.
Role playing during the workshop helps the students take a close look at their own behavior.
"I was teasing some kid because they usually tease me, so I started, out of nowhere I just started to tease him and then he started to get upset and then he started to cry," said Enrique Ortiz, a student.
"What does that say to you about bullying?" Eyewitness News asked.
"It's not right," Ortiz said.
Attention is paid to making it safe for kids who witness bullying to report it to adults.
The session ended with a pledge.
"Teasing and bullying, is not accepted, in our community," the students recited.
"Partnership With Children" is pleased with what they say is the success of the program so far, and they point out that success in helping kids to understand and prevent bullying begins with helping them learn to talk about it.
--- ONLINE RESOURCES:
ConnectSafely.org and the iKeepSafe Coalition have partnered to create A Parents' Guide to Facebook. The 35-page booklet and online resource is available for reading and printing at www.connectsafely.org/fbparents - provides parents with the perspective and how-to information they need to help their teens optimize their privacy and safety on Facebook.
Stop Bullying Now
New Jersey Bullying
Connecticut Commission on Children
Educator's Guide to Bullying
National Center for Bullying Prevention
Kids Health (Helping kids deal with bullies)
new york city, battling bullies, bullying, local news
- Hospital notifies thousands of possible blood contamination 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos