Doctor accused in pain medicine bust on Staten Island
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- An 83-year-old doctor on Staten Island is charged with dealing drugs. Police say he was selling huge amounts of Oxycontin out of his dining room.
The sign on Dr. Felix Lanting's front door reads "closed permanently due to a family emergency."
Earlier Tuesday, Federal agents lugged boxes of evidence from the Hunter Avenue home which the doctor also uses as his office.
The 83-year-old was arrested for allegedly distributing lots of Oxycodone.
One neighbor didn't want to be identified but told Eyewitness News everyone knew what was going on in Grant City, Staten Island.
"It's ridiculous. Now that he's down it's going to be much better because he really was the supplier for Staten Island," said the neighbor.
Prosecutors allege in court papers that Lanting handed out about 3,000 prescriptions of Oxycodone over the last seven months, making for an average of 15 per day, seven days a week.
Officials say nearly 500 customers were under 30 years old.
And the prescriptions of 180 or 240 Oxycontin pills sold for $200.
Business was so good that Lanting allegely hired "goons" and "bouncers" to control his front door.
Some long time neighbors can't believe the allegations.
"All this commotion. I don't know anything about it. The only thing i know is that he was a good doctor," said Elvira Demasi.
If convicted the suspect could face 20 years behind bars.
new york city, staten island, drug arrest, local news
- Newtown 911 calls released 31 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party 4 min ago
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park
- Wake for one of high school sweethearts killed in crash
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem missing
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos