7 line extension an alternative to Hudson tunnel?
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The rail tunnel project under the Hudson River that was killed by New Jersey Governor Chris Christie could be staging a comeback.
The Bloomberg administration is looking at a plan to extend the No. 7 subway line from Times Square to Hoboken and then on to Secaucus.
New Jersey commuters say they pack themselves onto crowded trains, so many of them are hoping that the No. 7 train is on the way.
But riders shouldn't get their hopes up, at least not just yet. The subway extension plan is in its earliest thinking stages. More trains, more tracks and more seats are a long way off, but...
"If it cost what the subway costs, I would definitely consider it," one commuter said.
The proposed extension would link the Lautenberg Train Station in Secaucus to all of the city's subway lines, including Penn Station and Grand Central Terminal.
It would be the first time the subway system would extend beyond the city limits.
And it could be done for half the cost of the original plan. That's because the No. 7 line tunnel already extends to the Manhattan waterfront.
"The 7 line in Manhattan is good," one straphanger said. "And if they can extend it, I think, as long as the logistics are fine and it will help quantitatively, it sounds like a start, because we need another tunnel."
City officials say extending the No. 7 line would shave billions of dollars off the cost of the original proposed tunnel.
new york city, new jersey, secaucus, times square, subway, chris christie, michael bloomberg, local news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 19 min ago
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 33 min ago
- Greenwich Village fatal bus-truck suspect due in court 8 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 25 min ago
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25 33 min ago
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos