NYC Ed. Policy Panel meets about Black
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Mayor Bloomberg's push to appoint Cathie Black as the city's schools chancellor is on the fast track despite an effort to slow it down.
During a meeting Tuesday night of the city's Education Policy Panel, Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer backed a move that would have blocked the mayor's authority to submit Black's name directly to the State Education Commissioner.
But that failed, so the commissioner will now get Black's name and he must decide whether to grant her a waiver because she doesn't have a background in education.
new york city, michael bloomberg, cathie black, local news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall