NYC Ed. Policy Panel meets about Black
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Mayor Bloomberg's push to appoint Cathie Black as the city's schools chancellor is on the fast track despite an effort to slow it down.
During a meeting Tuesday night of the city's Education Policy Panel, Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer backed a move that would have blocked the mayor's authority to submit Black's name directly to the State Education Commissioner.
But that failed, so the commissioner will now get Black's name and he must decide whether to grant her a waiver because she doesn't have a background in education.
new york city, michael bloomberg, cathie black, local news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash