Smoking blamed in Passaic apartment building fire
PASSAIC, NJ (WABC) -- Police say a tenant smoking in bed may have sparked a fire that left dozens of people homeless in New Jersey.
The fire broke out Friday at an apartment building on Washington Place in Passaic.
The three-story building was destroyed.
The fire chief says the flames apparently started in the first-floor apartment of a woman who was among the injured and is known to be a heavy smoker.
One resident, identified only as a 53-year-old woman, remained in critical but stable condition at St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center, while two other residents rescued by firefighters were treated there Friday for minor injuries and later released.
Two firefighters - one who dislocated his shoulder and another who may have broken one or more ribs - were also taken there for treatment.
Officials say the fire was reported around 4 p.m. Friday and burned for several hours. About 80 residents were displaced by the blaze.
fire, passaic county, new jersey, local news
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner 48 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air 16 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Carteret freight train derailment closes turnpike ramps 32 min ago
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video 59 min ago
- Fast food workers demonstrate to demand higher wages
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Carteret freight train derailment closes...
32 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
16 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos