Robbery turns to murder-suicide at NJ jewelry store
BRIDGEWATER, New Jersey (WABC) -- Police are investigating an apparent robbery turned murder-suicide at a jewelry store in central New Jersey.
The incident happened at a shopping center on Route 202 in Bridgewater Township just before 5 p.m. Monday.
55-year-old Roy Devoe, the owner of Roy T. Jewelers, was shot to death.
Police say the suspect, 19-year-old Michael J. Koury of Bridgewater Township, entered the front door of the shop disguised.
Detectives say that immediately upon entering, the gunman brandished a .357 caliber Smith and Wesson revolver and confronted the adult daughter of the store owner.
The gunman demanded jewelry and threatened to shoot the daughter if she didn't cooperate.
Mr. Devoe then confronted the gunman who fired one round from the revolver striking Mr. Devoe in the head and fatally wounding him.
The gunman then turned his attention towards the daughter and fired a round at her as she fled from the jewelry store.
The gunman turned the gun on himself firing one round into his jaw causing significant injuries to the lower portion of his mouth. He then cut his throat by utilizing a stainless steel 9" knife which he previously had secured in a plastic sheath strapped to his right thigh. The gunman then fired one last round into his head ending the deadly ordeal.
The revolver and the knife were recovered at the scene next to the gunman.
The prosecutor says Koury left a suicide note at his home.
The incident has left residents stunned and upset.
Broken glass, heavily armed police and yellow tape mark the scene of the crime.
Fae Cushings had been in the store at about 3:45 p.m. Monday. An hour later, she said, and she could have been among the dead.
"If I had been there an hour later, that would be us," she said. "I am so feeling for the people inside."
DO YOU HAVE PHOTOS OR VIDEOS TO ADD TO THIS STORY? CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD THEM TO IWITNESS.7ONLINE.COM, OR E-MAIL THEM TO IWITNESS@WABC.COM
breaking news, shooting, bridgewater, new jersey, local news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 9 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- ObamaCare signups surpass 8 million mark 57 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet 31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos