Winning Powerball ticket sold on Long Island
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Costco employees on Long Island are the apparent winners of the $200-million Powerball jackpot.
The manager at the Costco on 110 in Melville confirmed that the holders of the winning ticket is a group of employees.
According to employees, the Powerball winners are a pool of about 20 people, mostly cashiers and other front-of-the-store workers.
It's the dream of every working stiff: pool your dollars at the office, buy a bunch of lottery tickets, and retire very early.
Costco worker Marisol Tavares arrived Thursday to learn 20 of her coworkers had their dreams come true, becoming instant multi-millionaires.
Many of them didn't even know they'd hit it big, until they got to work.
And while you might turn right around and go home, Marisol says these winners did not!
"I just asked the lady who worked in the office and she say she's going to keep working. (What would you do with about 6 million dollars apiece?) Um, I wouldn't be here," Tavares said.
Among the lucky 20 is a retiree who works for Costco part time, and bought that winning ticket in Lindenhurst, where the celebration continued.
It's the second jackpot for this store, they sold a million dollar ticket a few years ago, and that was pocket change, compared to this.
"There are 20 people and $200 million divided by 20 of them. So it's going to change their life," said Sam Patel, a Costco worker.
At Costco, the winners chose to maintain their anonymity for now.
Many of their longtime customers offered the Costco 20 nothing but joy.
"I think it goes to people who probably need it. Work hard, they deserve it," said Meg Danaher, a longtime customer.
The numbers drawn Wednesday were 8, 18, 38, 46 and 56, and the Power Ball was 31.
With Wednesday night's win, the jackpot for Saturday's Powerball drawing was reset at $20 million.
The top prize in Friday's Mega Millions multi-state lottery is $15 million, which you can see right before Eyewitness News at 11:00.
Multi-State Lottery Association: http://www.powerball.com
lottery, powerball, local news, josh einiger
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent 26 min ago
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx 19 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act