Vietnam veterans prepare for emotional homecoming
CUMBERLAND COUNTY, N.C. -- Thousands of Vietnam veterans from across North Carolina are getting ready for a hero's welcome. They plan to attend a big event in Charlotte at the end of the month.
For at least one veteran, this will be an emotional welcome home that has been decades in the making.
John Rogers cries every time he thinks of Vietnam. Four decades after the fought there, he still battles health problems, and memories of the buddies he lost.
"I still think of them in a heartbeat," said Rogers.
Rogers said there was no happy homecoming from Vietnam.
"When I came back, it was 'John you are back home, glad to see you,' that was it," said Rogers.
Rogers keep his medals, citations, and memories packed away.
Peggy Rogers said she felt her husband's hurt, as he watched the soldiers come home from Afghanistan and Iraq to a hero's welcome.
"They [Vietnam vets] didn't get what the ones now get, the big celebrations, the big thank you -- you know -- the respect," said Peggy.
It is something John Rogers never thought he would live to see. For the first time in 40 years, he will cry tears of joy.
The Vietnam Veterans Homecoming Celebration will be held at the Charlotte Motory Speedway Saturday, March 31. Click here for more information on the event.
cumberland county, local/state, greg barnes
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest 2 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger 52 min ago
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Demolition underway after NJ fire;...
52 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze...
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos