Amber Alert canceled after no child reported missing
NEWBURGH, N.Y. (WABC) -- An Amber Alert remains was canceled Thursday morning despite reports that a little girl was snatched off the street because no child was ever reported missing.
The alert went out in Newburgh after witnesses told police that two men covered the mouth of the unidentified 5-year-old girl and put her in a garbage bag right in front of South Middle School.
They reportedly drove off in a dark-colored pickup truck.
All the witnesses were children between the ages of 5 and 11 who were afraid they would also be taken.
"A guy came out of the pickup truck and grabbed her mouth and her neck, and she was trying to scream and couldn't," one of the children told Eyewitness News. "They put her in a garbage bag. All you could see is her head, and they put her in the car and drove off."
"I saw the pickup truck, it had blue license plates," another child said. "And when the man got out of the car with two bags, we started running."
Newburgh police say they had no reason to doubt what the witnesses say they saw, and investigators were checking the school's surveillance videos. Due to the unique circumstances of the case, the Amber Alert was canceled. But police continue to investigate.
The Amber Alert was issued for black female with long black hair, about 3-foot tall and wearing a short-sleeve bright pink shirt at the time of her abduction.
One of the suspects is described as a male Hispanic with light skin, and the other is said to be male Hispanic with long black hair and wearing a black shirt and black fitted baseball cap.
The vehicle was identified as black or dark pickup truck with possible green writing on it.
Anyone with any information on this abduction is asked to call the City of Newburgh Police at (866) NYS-AMBER or dial 911 to provide information on a report or sighting.
Visit Amber.NY.Gov for the most up to date information concerning the alert.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
amber alert, newburgh, abduction, local news
- Weather dampens weekend on Coney Island 11 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds 55 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Arrest made in Charles Butler case 2 min ago
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5 45 min ago
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
55 min ago