9/11 memorial services held in New Jersey
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- New Jersey was a critical place of refuge in the hours after the 9/11 attacks, and many towns hosted scaled-back memorial ceremonies Tuesday.
Middletown Township, which suffered New Jersey's largest loss, held a small, silent ceremony Tuesday.
Town officials laid a wreath and dozens of people walked a brick path that's lined with 37 plaques dedicated to each resident who died that day.
Montclair, which lost nine residents, is moving the ceremony inside the City Council chambers instead of outside at the 9/11 memorial plaza.
A spokeswoman says the mayor feels the day should shift from one focused only on a ceremony to residents engaging in a day of service.
For the first time in 10 years, Glen Rock did not hold an organized public commemoration. The town lost 11 residents in the attacks.
Thousands of people fled Lower Manhattan to the safety of Jersey City, just across the Hudson River from Ground Zero.
Monday evening, dozens of people gathered for a somber memorial service at "Empty Sky," New Jersey's 9/11 memorial located inside Liberty State Park in Jersey City.
september 11, world trade center, local news
Also SeeStory:Anthony Johnson reflects on the 9/11 attacks
Story:Sandra Bookman reflects on the 9/11 attacks
Story:Nina Pineda reflects on the 9/11 attacks
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 31 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway 31 min ago
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos