Investigation continues into death of Long Island toddler
MIDDLENTOWN, New York (WABC) -- The remains of a child were found in Farmingdale over the weekend, after the child's mother told police that her son died two years ago.
Eyewitness News traveled to Orange County, where the family once lived.
Neighbors on that street may very well be the last ones to have seen just 17-month-old Justin Kowalczik alive.
But they only remember him as an infant, not as a toddler.
Heather Kowalczik lived in a second floor apartment in this house on Charles Street in Middletown two years ago with her three sons.
She wasn't well known on the street.
But her former downstairs neighbor told Eyewitness News she babysat Justin when he was two months old when his mother went to the store.
Kowalczik moved from her Orange County home to Farmaingdale, Long Island where investigators dug up the remains of her 17-month-old son, Saturday.
Neighbor say investigators were in the neighborhood asking questions Friday.
"They came and asked us questions ...they were looking for her boyfriend," said Robyn Robbins.
The results of an autopsy with a cause of death is expected to take a while.
No arrests have been made.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
amber alert, farmingdale, long island, nassau county, local news
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Chilly Wednesday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- LIE in Suffolk County reopens
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- Photos: Blind man and dog fall on subway tracks
- EXCLUSIVE: Suspect arrested in 'knockout' assaults
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- ACS workers reach plea deal in girl's death
- Jersey City reveals what was inside mysterious safes
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos