Joel Brodsky says he still represents Drew Peterson
October 11, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Joel Brodksy, the attorney retained by Drew Peterson during his trial, maintains he still represents the convicted murderer.Brodsky asked Judge Edward Burmila to strike a motion for a new trial that was filed on behalf of Peterson by attorneys John Carroll and Michelle Gonzalez. That motion argues Brodsky was "ineffective counsel" during the murder trial. Peterson was convicted of killing his third wife, Kathleen Savio, in 2004.
Brodsky's motion asks the judge to not only strike Carroll and Gonzalez's motion for a new trial, but also to hold them in direct criminal contempt of court. Brodsky says Peterson, with whom he said he speaks daily, never told him he had hired two other attorneys, and their motion is "totally and completely unauthorized, and is, and should be held to be, null and void."
Brodsky calls the motion for a retrial "based entirely on allegations that are untrue, are blatant lies, and have no basis in fact whatsoever, and which do great prejudice to the Defendant."
Gonzalez said Wednesday that Peterson asked them to file the motion for retrial.
Peterson and all the attorneys are expected in court on Friday in front of Judge Edward Burmila.
- I-5 bridge collapses into Skagit River 2 min ago
- AccuWeather Alert: Drenching downpours 15 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Actress Amanda Bynes arrested in Midtown 40 min ago
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding 26 min ago
- Officer arrested in firebombing of captain's home
- Jury deadlocked on Jodi Arias penalty
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy 22 min ago
- Anthony Weiner starts stumping in mayoral bid 17 min ago
- Rangers stay alive with OT goal against Bruins
- abcnews: 'Extremely Active' Potential For Hurricane...
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Anthony Weiner starts stumping in mayoral bid
17 min ago
- AccuWeather Alert: Drenching downpours
15 min ago
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding
26 min ago