Aurora boy, 15, killed in car crash into home
October 23, 2012 (AURORA, Ill.) -- Aurora police are investigating a fatal accident that claimed the life of a 15-year-old boy.
At around 1:43 a.m. Tuesday, Aurora police were called to the scene and Meadows was pronounced dead on the scene.
The driver and three passengers, who were all 15, were northbound on Stonebridge when the driver apparently lost control of the vehicle and traveled through a grassy area striking the house.
Meadows was ejected from the car. The other passengers suffered minor injuries.
No one was injured inside the house.
The driver has not been charged. There was extensive damage to the home.
"The house shook, and immediately someone rang the bell. Some teenagers were running around. We thought it was a Halloween prank," said homeowner Joshila Chandra.
"We're still talking to kids in the car, so we don't, specifically what they were doing at that time, we assume they were joyriding some kind of prank, that's what we assume," said Lt. Pete Inda, Aurora Police Department.
Police don't believe drugs or alcohol were involved in the accident
"None of the kids had driver's licenses, the driver had a permit, but with that you're supposed to be with a parent or licensed driver and none of the kids had licenses," said Inda.
Meadows was a sophomore on the Metea Valley High School football team and a track athlete. His classmates were so affected, many were allowed to simply leave school for the day.
"I talked to him earlier on Friday, he said we're going to go smash pumpkins this weekend. If you want to come, I'll let you know," said Mohsin Ahmed, friend.
"He was one of my best friends. He was one of those people who could always make you smile. He was always there for everyone, no matter what. Even if he was not friends with them, he would always just be there for you," said Kathy Orta, Meadows' friend.
"Devin was the nicest person you could meet in your entire life. Like, he would walk into a room and always had something funny to say. He would always make you laugh, always make you smile. You could not be around him and not have a good time," one classmate said.
local, john garcia
- 4 people shot in Brooklyn
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Sunday snow storm
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Surveillance from East Harlem buildings near explosion
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Sketches released of suspects wanted in lurings
- Bus driver suffers medical emergency, 2 injured
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey