Larkin HS student, 15, charged with felony in attack on teacher
October 25, 2012 (ELGIN, Ill.) -- A high school student is under house arrest after allegedly attacking a science teacher at Larkin High School in Elgin.
The student appeared in juvenile court on Thursday. He was charged with a felony and released to his parents. His father, who did not speak on camera, said he is now considering home schooling the 15-year-old boy.
"I don't see a lot of kids that would hit a teacher like that," Darius Fosse, student, said.
"I think that's just disrespectful and I don't know what he was doing. That's just crazy. I don't understand why he would take it that far to hit a teacher," Vanessa Stewart, student, said.
On Wednesday, police say the student tackled the 51-year-old teacher, tackling him inside a classroom and punching him four or five times. The teacher was taken to Provena St. Joseph Hospital with facial injuries.
"The student was in a classroom with the teacher and at some point decided to attack him, punched the teacher a number of times and then fled the classroom," Cmdr. Glenn Theriault, Elgin Police Department "At no time were any students in jeopardy or harm's way. School and police officials on the scene were able to bring it under control quickly," John Heiderscheidt, District U-46 safety coordinator.
A school resource officer arrested the student on campus. The teacher was taken to the hospital and treated for facial injuries. He is now at home recovering.
"Our teacher is a good teacher. He is a good man. This is a senseless act. This is an act that should never have happened," Heiderscheidt said.
"I am appalled by it. I think that the student should have never ever laid a hand on any teacher," said student Emilio Avelar.
"Either way, no one should have been hit. The teacher should not have been hit. No one should have been hit. I think he could have went about it a different way, but it happened," said student Antaja Dean.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos