Some East Coast flights taking off from O'Hare
October 31, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Two major airports servicing New York City reopened Wednesday, which meant some passengers stuck at Chicago's O'Hare Airport were finally able to return home.
Some flights were taking off, but many others were still canceled. JFK and Newark airports resumed limited service Wednesday. La Guardia Airport was still closed because of flooding.
Elgin, Ill., native Alice Mead told ABC7 Chicago she felt good to finally be home after days of being stranded in Boston.
"The worst thing was the winds. The winds were so strong in Boston. We were in downtown Boston, and I thought I was going to be airborne," Mead said.
Service to and from the East Coast was starting to get back on track slowly as travelers at O'Hare were scrambling to get on rebooked flights.
"I just want to go hug my kids. Now, I'm getting emotional. I just want to go home and hug my kids. There's no power at home. I don't really care what we lose, what happens, but they're OK," said stranded traveler Sharon Vaghi said.
Since Sunday, more than 18,000 flights across the Northeast and the globe were scrubbed, and it may take days before travel gets back to normal.
"My flight to New Jersey was canceled for today, and now, I have to go to Indiana to go to Pennsylvania to go back home. I couldn't get a flight out until Saturday," said passenger Nicole Brouillard.
American Airlines employees dressed in Halloween costumes passed out candy Wednesday to many weary travelers at O'Hare who needed some treats after Superstorm Sandy's nasty tricks.
"Yeah. I hung out in Vegas all day yesterday from 8:00 in the morning until I got on a plane at 11:30 last night," said stranded passenger John Concannon , who said he was stuck at O'Hare until at least Wednesday night.
The airline also released the following partial statement:
"We have extended our travel waiver covering the three New York airports. Customers whose tickets were issued no later than Oct. 30 for travel Oct. 31 through Nov. 7 to, from or through JFK, LGA and EWR may rebook without penalty for travel Nov. 1 through Dec. 20."
local, jessica d'onofrio
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 23 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 52 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 10 min ago
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- FDA proposes first regulations for...
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos