Funeral held for fallen Chicago firefighter
November 8, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Hundreds of family members, friends and fellow firefighters honored fallen firefighter Captain Herbert Johnson.
- VIDEO: Mayor Emanuel's eulogy for Herbie Johnson
- VIDEO: Fire Cmsr. Jose Santiago's eulogy for Herbie Johnson
- VIDEO: Fallen firefighter's sister offers eulogy
- PHOTOS: Chicago firefighter dies battling blaze
Captain Johnson's casket arrived by fire engine to the tears of his widow, Susan, and the gratitude of an entire city.
"Herbie was good firefighter. Herbie was a great firefighter," said Commissioner Jose Santiago, Chicago Fire Department.
Inside the chapel, it was standing room only. Many more watched by video feed from St. Rita School, Johnson's alma mater. They heard tributes to a man who defined what it means to serve.
"Our city is richer, our city is greater because of Herbie Johnson," said Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
"His work here was complete. So please continue to love him, continue to fight fires," said Julie Johnson, sister.
Johnson grew up, lived and worked just a few blocks from the fire that took his life last Friday. He was South Side through and through; a big man with a big smile, raised in a big family.
"He used to say, oh my God, eight kids and then he'd just go, Herbie, Julie, Mary, Peggy, John, Jim, Ted, and Terry," said John Johnson, brother.
The city honored Johnson's widow and three children, but the biggest blessing of this day, relatives said, was the memory of Johnson's 54 years on earth.
"Herbie, I could not be prouder of you. Dying for what you loved," said John Johnson, brother.
After the casket was carried from the church, a procession of red white and blue escorted Johnson to his final resting place. It was a final salute to a man who always had his buddies' backs and never shied away from duty or danger.
"To the entire Johnson family, thank for you sharing Herbie with us. We are better for it," said Rahm.
Johnson was buried at Mount Olive Catholic Cemetery.
local, eric horng
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 46 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow begins falling in New Jersey
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
46 min ago