Rita Crundwell farms, vehicles, furnishings for sale in online auction
November 28, 2012 (DIXON, Ill.) -- Rita Crundwell's homes, farms and furnishings are for sale -- starting next week.
The U.S. Marshals Service is accepting bids on three properties owned by the former Dixon comptroller, who admitted stealing $53 million from taxpayers. All of those properties are in Illinois: a 43-acre farm with a single-family residence at 1403 Dutch Road in Dixon; an 82.82-acre farm with two buildings at 1556 Red Brick Road; and a 81-acre farm in Lee County. They are offered at $450,000, $700,000, and $540,000, respectively.
Marshals have already received unsolicited bids on those three properties and are accepting other bids until noon on December 21. Public inspection of the lands and buildings will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on December 7, 8 and 14.
Personal property from Crundwell's homes in Dixon, Ill., and Englewood, Florida, will be auctioned off online December 6-8 at professionalauction.com. The Florida auction closes on December 7 and the Illinois auction closes on December 8 at 5 p.m. CST. There is no preview of the items before the auction-- and winners will need to pick up their items. Bidders must register for $100.
An online auction for six of her vehicles and boats is under way.
Crundwell, 59, pled guilty to federal theft charges on November 14, 2012, admitting she took $53 million from the tiny town of Dixon during the past two decades in the largest ever embezzlement of public funds.
She was arrested in April 2012, accused of stealing $30 million after a temporary employee discovered some discrepancies. That number grew to $53 million.
Crundwell used the diverted tax payer money to fund her horse breeding operation and luxury lifestyle. Her 400 horses were auctioned in September, bringing in $4.7million. Other big ticket items, like cars and a luxury RV were also sold.
As of November 27, the city of Dixon has collected about $7.4 million.
Also SeePhotos:Rita Crundwell cars, boats up for auction
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg 59 min ago
- Bratton to join Sharpton at rally in Harlem 30 min ago
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman