Rita Crundwell farms, vehicles, furnishings for sale in online auction
November 28, 2012 (DIXON, Ill.) -- Rita Crundwell's homes, farms and furnishings are for sale -- starting next week.
The U.S. Marshals Service is accepting bids on three properties owned by the former Dixon comptroller, who admitted stealing $53 million from taxpayers. All of those properties are in Illinois: a 43-acre farm with a single-family residence at 1403 Dutch Road in Dixon; an 82.82-acre farm with two buildings at 1556 Red Brick Road; and a 81-acre farm in Lee County. They are offered at $450,000, $700,000, and $540,000, respectively.
Marshals have already received unsolicited bids on those three properties and are accepting other bids until noon on December 21. Public inspection of the lands and buildings will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on December 7, 8 and 14.
Personal property from Crundwell's homes in Dixon, Ill., and Englewood, Florida, will be auctioned off online December 6-8 at professionalauction.com. The Florida auction closes on December 7 and the Illinois auction closes on December 8 at 5 p.m. CST. There is no preview of the items before the auction-- and winners will need to pick up their items. Bidders must register for $100.
An online auction for six of her vehicles and boats is under way.
Crundwell, 59, pled guilty to federal theft charges on November 14, 2012, admitting she took $53 million from the tiny town of Dixon during the past two decades in the largest ever embezzlement of public funds.
She was arrested in April 2012, accused of stealing $30 million after a temporary employee discovered some discrepancies. That number grew to $53 million.
Crundwell used the diverted tax payer money to fund her horse breeding operation and luxury lifestyle. Her 400 horses were auctioned in September, bringing in $4.7million. Other big ticket items, like cars and a luxury RV were also sold.
As of November 27, the city of Dixon has collected about $7.4 million.
Also SeePhotos:Rita Crundwell cars, boats up for auction
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 42 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village 55 min ago
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos